OVER 121 MILLION FANS WATCH NFL GAMES DURING KICKOFF WEEKEND TO OPEN 2022 SEASON
September 15, 2022
Over the course of one of the greatest Kickoff weekends in memory, over 121 million NFL fans watched games filled with comebacks and thrilling finishes over television and digital platforms.
Average viewership for all games during Kickoff weekend was 18.5 million, best since 2016
The 121 million figure represents a 5% increase from the opening weekend of the 2021 season. With seven games decided by a field goal or less (the most on Kickoff weekend in NFL history), five games decided by a game-winning score in the final two minutes of regulation or in overtime, and four teams (Chicago, Indianapolis, New Orleans, NY Giants) rallying from deficits of 10 or more points to win or tie, fans simply couldn't get enough of the NFL during its opening weekend of the 2022 season.
"It was an incredible Kickoff weekend, highlighted by a Sunday afternoon filled with exciting finishes and thrilling comebacks," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "As the viewership numbers would indicate, our fans are obviously excited to have the NFL back. We're looking forward to Week 2 which will start with a historic game in Kansas City on Amazon Prime Video."
Viewership metrics from the weekend include:
• Over 121 million fans watched games during the 2022 Kickoff weekend – up +5% vs. 2021
• Nearly 83 million fans watched games on Sunday afternoon of Kickoff weekend, the highest total since 2016 and up +7% vs. 2021
• The nearly 83 million fans who watched games on Sunday afternoon of Kickoff weekend watched over 12 billion minutes of NFL action, the highest total on record and up +6% vs. 2021
• Average viewership for all games during Kickoff weekend was 18.5 million, the best opening weekend since 2016 and up +3% vs. 2021
The NFL's viewership growth to start the 2022 season is the result of a combined effort from the League's broadcast partners, representing the finest in live game sports video production across the industry. Viewership highlights from the NFL's broadcast partners over the 2022 Kickoff weekend include:
• The NFL ON CBS kicked off the 2022 NFL season by delivering record viewership across CBS Sports platforms
• ESPN's Monday Night Football Nabs Nearly 20 Million Viewers in Record-Setting Season Opener
• FOX NFL Has Strong Start to the 2022 Season Highlighted by Green Bay/Minnesota
• Best Viewership in 6 Years for NBC Sports' Two-Game NFL Kickoff Weekend Across NBC, Peacock and NFL Digital Properties
Looking ahead to Week 2 of the 2022 NFL season, the week will start with the debut of Thursday Night Football on Prime Video, representing the first time the NFL has placed a package of games on a new platform (streaming) since 1987 when the League first moved into cable television with ESPN. The first Thursday Night Football game on Prime Video is an AFC West showdown between the LOS ANGELES CHARGERS (1-0) and KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (1-0) at 8:15 PM ET.
Then, to bookend the week, the NFL presents two Monday Night Football games with staggered starts for the first time with TENNESSEE (0-1) at BUFFALO (1-0) kicking off at 7:15 PM ET on ESPN and MINNESOTA (1-0) at PHILADELPHIA (1-0) at 8:30 PM ET on ABC.