Giving and Receiving
March 3, 2022
Venice Family Clinic will provide food and COVID-19 vaccines free of charge from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, February 26, at its clinic site at 1091 La Brea Avenue in Inglewood.
“Free, healthy food including fresh fruit and vegetables will be provided to patients and community members this Saturday to help reduce food insecurity during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Information about nutrition, healthy diet alternatives, blood pressure and other Clinic services including prenatal care will also be provided on-site by the Clinic’s Health Education Dept” said VFC in a statement.
All community members are welcome, and no appointment is necessary.
Since February 2020, Venice Family Clinic has distributed over 1,129,412 pounds of fresh fruits, vegetables and other staples to its patients and local community members free of charge.
Flair Cleaners Food Drive
Phyllis Grabot, Corridor Comms
– Flair Cleaners, Southern California’s will host its 7th Annual Flair Cares Food Drive, Hang Up Hunger, March 1 - 31. The drive benefits the North Hollywood Interfaith Food Pantry, Food Pantry, LAX, the Salvation Army Santa Monica food pantry, and the nonprofit Santa Clarita Grocery. Flair will match donations of up to 250 pounds of food donated by customers at each location.
“Our challenging social and economic times have put a strain on households and families throughout LA County,” said Gary Futterman, owner of Flair Cleaners. “We are proud to continue our efforts - with the generosity of our customers - to collect and donate critically needed food to local nonprofits. We hope our efforts make a difference in our communities.”
Anyone may bring unopened, canned, or boxed food to any Flair Cleaners – Redondo Beach, Santa Monica, Studio City, or Valencia. Do not bring any food past its expiration date or packaged in glass. Everyone who donates will receive a coupon for 50% off dry cleaning on a future visit to any Flair Cleaners location.
Customers using Flair Cleaners Free No Contact Pickup and Delivery service can leave bags or boxes of food they wish to donate with their pickup orders in March. Flair Cleaners will deliver donations to the following charities:
· The Salvation Army Santa Monica feeds meals to anyone in need - this includes homeless people of all ages, as well as individuals and families who may be down on their luck and in need of a helping hand.
· The Santa Clarita Grocery operates as an all-volunteer organization serving “week worth of groceries” and personal care items for our guests, including fresh milk, eggs, produce, canned goods, dried goods, meat, deli, and bread.
· Food Pantry, LAX, was established in 1985 under the auspices of the Westchester/Ladera Clergy Association as a community-based means of feeding the poor in the community. Its mission is to provide groceries to low and no-income families and individuals in their area. Bags of groceries are sufficient to provide meals for 1-2 days to the families that come to the Food Pantry each week.
· Established in 1983, the North Hollywood Interfaith Food Pantry is a 100% volunteer coalition of diverse religious institutions working together to address the problem of hunger in the community.