Culver City Observer -

Barricaded Suspect Surrenders

Stephen Robb is Held on $1.1 Million Bail


January 31, 2019

Ron Peterson

Los Angeles county Sheriff's Department Rescue 5 helicopter standing by at Tellefson Park during barricade standoff at nearby Ramada inn.

Stephen Robb is Held on $1.1 Million Bail

A 39-year-old man is being held on $1.1 million bail at the Culver City jail after he barricaded himself in a local hotel room for several hours on Monday morning, fired at police offers and caused the closure of Sepulveda Boulevard before surrendering to local authorities.

The man, Stephen Chauncey Robb, has been charged with attempted murder of a police officer.

On Monday morning at 5:40, the Culver City Police Department arrived at the Ramada Inn, located at 3930 block of Sepulveda Boulevard, to check on a possible suicidal man staying at the hotel.

"Once on scene, officers attempted to contact the subject," said Culver City Police, "At that time, the subject fired multiple gunshots through the door at the officers. No officers or civilians were struck by gunfire and the officers did not return fire."

CCPD evacuated the motel and nearby buildings as a precaution. Sepulveda Blvd was closed in both directions for most of the morning. The California Highway Patrol issued a SigAlert for the northbound 405 Freeway and Venice Boulevard on- and off-ramps due to incident.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Special Enforcement Bureau (SWAT) responded to the scene. To the surprise of nearby residents and businesses, a sheriff's department rescue helicopter also responded and landed in Tellefson Park on Washington Place just in case anyone was injured and required immediate transportation.

Ron Peterson

CCPD patrol car sits in middle of Sepulveda Blvd.

Crisis negotiators eventually convinced the barricaded man to "surrender peacefully after speaking with him for several hours," police said.

A large contingent of heavily armed sheriff's deputies along with a K-9 dog and armored vehicle approached the room and eventually took the suspect, Stephen Robb, into custody without further incident. He was later booked at the Culver City Police Department for the attempted murder of a police officer.

The arrest was captured on video by a person on the second floor of a nearby office building. Exclusive footage of the arrest can be viewed at


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021