Cooling Center Open in Culver City
July 26, 2018
With the heat pushing record temperatures again officials have opened the Culver City Senior Center as a "cooling center this week.
The center is located at 4095 Overland Ave. The center is open on Monday through Thursday from 9am until 5pmsaturday and Sunday from 12pm until 4pm. Call for parking directions (310) 253-6700
Officials are recommending residents take the following actions:
• Avoid the sun from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. when the burning rays are strongest.
• Reduce physical activity.
• Wear some wide-brimmed hat and light-colored lightweight, loose-fitting clothes when you are outdoors
• Avoid hot, heavy meals that include proteins.
• Set your air conditioner between 75° to 80°. If you don't have air-conditioning take a cool shower twice a day and visit a public air-conditioned facility.
• Check on elderly neighbors and family and friends who do not have air conditioning.
• Drink plenty of fluids even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcohol.
• Use sun screen with a sun protection factor of at least 15 if you need to be in the sun.
• Don't forget about your pets, they need plenty of water and shade.
• Insulate your home by installing weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the cool air inside.