Culver City Observer -

By Stephen Hadland
Observer Publisher 

Police Chase Ends in Culver City Crash

Man Dies in Unrelated Single Car accident


December 7, 2017

Ron Peterson

Police have Oscar Garcia in custody with Culver City Fire Department paramedics preparing to transport him to the hospital.

Santa Monica Police pursed an assault subject into Culver City on Monday. According to Lt. Saul Rodriguez of the Santa Monica Police Department, at approximately 2:40 pm Oscar Garcia, 38, allegedly assaulted the victim on 16th street in Santa Monica with a metal object, possibly a tire iron, after the two got into an argument.

Garcia fled in a truck heading west on Santa Monica Blvd where Santa Monica Police attempted to pull his car over at Ocean Avenue. They chased him into Culver City where the suspect began ramming into the SM police car near Elenda Street and little Culver Blvd. after ramming several vehicles the suspect crashed head on into another police unit. He was then captured with the help of a K-9 unit. Culver City Fire assisted with his injuries.

He faces multiple charges including assault with a deadly weapon on police officers and felony evasion. Garcia is currently being held in the Los Angeles County Jail. His bail is set at $350,000. His next court appearance is on December 19.

Photo Courtesy Santa Monica Police Department

Oscar Garcia

In a second incident a man reportedly in his 40s died when his car crashed at 2:36 a.m. on Tuesday in the area of Slauson Avenue and Buckingham Parkway. He was traveling westbound on Slauson when his car ran into a tree. Lt. Trop Dunlop of the Culver City Police Department reported it was a single car crash and the man, who was the only occupant, died at the scene.

The coroner's office is withholding his name pending notification of next of kin. The police department is waiting for the toxicology report to help determine if the driver was impaired.

The accident caused major traffic tie-ups on surrounding streets and even affected the 405 Freeway. Slauson Avenue was closed between Buckingham Parkway and Bedford Avenue, and commuters on La Cienega Ave not allowed to turn onto Slauson causing a backup on La Cienega that stretched all the way onto the 405. The streets reopened mid morning.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021