Solar Panels Coming To Culver Schools
July 30, 2013
Drilling has begun at Culver City High, Farragut Elementary and Culver Park High to install solar panels.
The solar panels scheduled for development include Culver City High, Farragut Elementary and one in the parking lot adjacent to Culver Park High.
Construction fences are in place.
The solar panels are designed to provide shade for students at Farragut Elementary School in addition to providing solar power for school district operations. According to CCUSD, this will reduce the district’s operating costs.
The solar panels will also provide the District with an alternative energy source, and reduce its reliance on non-renewable fossil fuels.
In order to accommodate the panels, some of the existing basketball hoops and the ball walls will be moved.
The City of Culver City is working closely with the District to help ensure that an adequate parking and drop-off/pick-up plan is in place when school resumes on August 26.
Details of the project:`
- The Solar Panel project has begun, construction fences are in place and drilling operations have commenced to install the supports for the panel arrays.
- The solar panels will provide shade for our students at Farragut Elementary School in addition to providing solar power for our school district operations, thereby reducing our utility costs.
- The solar panels will also provide us with an alternative energy source to reduce our reliance on the use of non-renewable fossil fuels to generate electricity to support our educational programs.
- Some of the existing basketball hoops and the ball walls will be moved to another location within the play area to accommodate the solar panels. Steps are being taken to preserve the 5th grade Legacy Mural for relocation.
- The installation of solar panel arrays in the majority of our parking lots obviously creates a major challenge in terms of our ability to provide parking for all staff, students and visitors.
- We have worked out a good drop-off and pick-up procedure for the various summer programs operating within the area of Farragut Elementary School thanks to the efforts of Veronica Montes, the parents, and our Security Team.
- The City of Culver City is working with us very closely to help ensure that we have an adequate parking and drop-off/pick-up plan in place when school resumes on August 26th, we are very grateful to Gabe Garcia for his support.
- We are looking forward to working together with the City of Culver City, our schools, our parents, and our neighbors to meet this challenge with the knowledge that we are creating a very worthwhile outcome for our district and environment.