City Manager's Update
June 24, 2013
City Manager's Update
June 21, 2013
City Manager’s Office
· Culver City's Boulevard Music Summer Festival – Co-sponsored by the City of Culver City and curated by producer Gary Mandell of Culver City’s Boulevard Music, Culver City’s Boulevard Music Summer Festival will feature: A cappella Doo Wop from the Mighty Echoes and acoustic blues with Doug MacLeod on July 11th; an eclectic mix of country, bluegrass, rock and jazz with Ryan Shupe & The RubberBand on July 18th; jazz and blues diva Barbara Morrison on July 25th; hot country, rock and blues guitar with Albert Lee on Aug 1st; Afro-Cuban/Salsa from Ricardo Lemvo and Makina Loca on August 8th; and the premier Led Zeppelin tribute band Led Zepagain acoustic with string quartet on August 15th. Performances are free. For more information go to: http://www.boulevardmusic.com/livemusic/439.html
City Clerk’s Office
· Brown Act Training - In partnership with the City Attorney’s Office, training on the Brown Act and AB 1234 (Ethics) was held on June 19. There were 42 persons in attendance at the training, including newly appointed and returning Commissioners, Committee Members, and Board Members. .
Community Development Department
- Smashbox Studios – Building plans have been submitted for photo studios and a new art gallery located at 8549 Higuera Street.
· Westfield Culver City – Building permits have been issued for a new watch/clock store called Tic Time and a tenant improvement on the first and second floors for a new Nordstrom Rack. Building plans have been submitted for a new-concept accessories store called Ashley Fox and for GNC, General Nutrition Center, a new vitamin supplement retail store.
- Long Range Property Management Plan (LRPMP) – the LRPMP was approved by the Successor Agency on June 10, 2013.
- Wild Card – A permit has been issued for a tenant improvement of an existing two story commercial space, creating 664 square feet of a new floor area at 3542 Hayden Avenue.
· Blaze Pizza - A permit has been issued for a tenant Improvement for a new restaurant located at 4114 Sepulveda Boulevard.
- Kaiser Permanente – A permit has been issued for a tenant improvement to remodel three exam rooms, office areas and one workroom, located at 12001 Washington Boulevard.
· Framestore – A new digital imaging design, production and advertising firm moved into a permanent studio in Culver City located at 8616 National Boulevard. The 600 person worldwide firm also has operations in London, New York and Montreal.
· Chocovivo – A chocolatier retailer and mini-chocolate factory, Chocovivo, will be opening a store at 12469 Washington Boulevard in July. Chocovivo is relocating from Abbot Kinney and will offer high quality bean-to-bar chocolates that are uniquely stone ground in-house that don’t use milk or soy in the process. Chocovivo will also sell take-home powders and offer chocolate drinks that can be enjoyed onsite.
· Kids First Safety Fair – On June 9 members of the Culver City Fire Department participated in the Kids 1st Safety event held at Bunnin Chevrolet. This event was an opportunity for fire personnel to provide participants safety and educational materials, see a variety of tools and equipment carried on fire apparatus, and get a close up look at the firefighter’s turn-out gear. Those in attendance seemed to enjoy the presentations and materials provided.
· Probationary Firefighters – On June 17 all seven probationary firefighters completed their one-year probation and have been placed into their permanent assignments. Over the last 12 months these recruit Firefighters were assigned to our Engine companies and Truck company where they honed their skills. This included everything from a variety of different hose evolutions, ladders, ventilation techniques, extrication operations, usage of every piece of equipment on the apparatus, etc. The intensive training was supported by trimester evaluations consisting of written exams, manipulative skills, and performance evaluations. All seven candidates performed extremely well and successfully passed every component. They are Joseph LaRiccia, Bryan Sua, Fernando Benitez, Daniel Nembhard, Eric Arthur, Brandon Kay, and William Quintero.
· Department Promotions – During the week of June 17 two promotional badge ceremonies were held at Fire Station #1. Firefighter/Paramedic Dave Rindels was promoted to Fire Engineer, Firefighter/Paramedic Paul Davis was promoted to fire Engineer, and Captain Brian Savage was promoted to Battalion Chief. All of the individuals promoted participated in a very competitive Civil Service promotional process.
Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department
· Senior and Social Services – SmileTV featured a program on the Culver City Senior Center’s quarterly iNeed Help with My Gadget Workshop. Volunteers from Symantec, Culver City High and Antioch University participate in these events. The Senior Center Independence Day Celebration will be held on Wednesday, July 3. Lunch and entertainment are provided with tickets costing just $3.50. This event is open to Senior Center members and tickets can be purchased at the business desk until they are sold out.
On Saturday, July 20 the Culver City Senior & Social Services Division, in partnership with AAA and AARP, is offering CarFit for drivers 55+. CarFit is a free 20-minute check-up to ensure you “fit” your car properly for maximum comfort and safety on the road. Trained Occupational Therapists (OT), OT Assistants and volunteers take participants through a 12-point checklist. Participants leave with recommended car adjustments, community resources and a greater peace of mind. Reservations must be made for this event! Please call 310-253-6700 to register.
· Veterans Memorial Building – The rental operation has added two new part-time event supervisors to the staff to assist renters and recreation program users.
The Culver City Chamber of Commerce presents Culver Expo 2013 on Wednesday, June 26 from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm at Veterans Memorial Building. More information is available at www.culvercitychamber.org.
· Fiesta La Ballona – This year’s Fiesta will feature Jumpin’ Joz Band, Mariachis Voces de Mexico de Raul Sanchez, Instant Replay, Kiss Me Deadly, The Bricks, Ricardo Lemvo & Makina Loca, Upstream, Lisa Haley & the Zydecats, Katia Moraes, “The World’s Grooviest Live Disco Band” The Funky Hippeez and more at the Entertainment Tent.
· Kids First Safety Fair - On June 9 members of the Department's K-9 unit gave a demonstration for the attendees of the fair. This was the Third Annual event held at Bunin Chevrolet. The event was well attended.
· Station Tour - On June 11 children from Linwood Howe Elementary School came to the Police Station for a tour and presentation on child safety.
· Neighborhood Watch Meeting - On June 18 Lieutenant Jason Sims met with the Tellefson/Tilden Neighborhood Association. The topics discussed were Crime issues, Citizens Police Academy, and the Department's Social Media efforts. Mayor Jeff Cooper and Housing Administrator Tevis Barnes also attended the meeting to discuss the Tilden Terrance project.
Public Works Department
· Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) and E-Waste Recycling Roundup– There will be a free HHW and E-Waste Recycling Roundup on Saturday, June 29 from 9 am to 3 pm at the National Guard Armory Front Parking Lot, 10808 Culver Boulevard.
Some examples of what you can bring to a HHW collection:
1. Motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid
2. Used antifreeze
3. Paint, paint thinner, turpentine
4. Cleaners with acid or lye
5. Pesticides or herbicides
6. Household batteries or car batteries
7. Pool chemicals
8. CRTs, old TVs, misc. electronics
9. Mercury thermometers or thermostats
10. Used Needles or Sharps (In a Sharps container or sturdy box labeled "SHARPS")
11. Unwanted or expired prescriptions
What you cannot bring to a HHW collection:
3. Radioactive Materials
6. Business Waste
7. White Goods (stoves, refrigerators, etc.)
8. Controlled Substances
9. Bio-hazardous Waste
The Round-Up is sponsored jointly by the Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts and Los Angeles County. For a complete listing of what you can and cannot bring, or for information on upcoming events, please contact 1(888) CLEAN-LA; www.cleanLA.com; or 1(800) 238-0172; www.lacsd.org.
· Fleet Maintenance Division Award - The City of Culver City has been named the #1 Best Municipal Fleet in North America, by the 100 Best Fleets National Fleet Certification/Recognition Program.